Cross Country Ski Trails
Current Trail Conditions
1/18/2020 - The ski trails at Terrace Oaks and Alimagnet were groomed today. They were able to set a little bit of a track. Terrace Oaks is a little on the hard icy side but completely covered. Alimagnet looks very good as well.
The trails at Terrace Oaks and Alimagnet will typically be groomed every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Kraemer will be groomed on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The ski chalet at Terrace Oaks Park remains closed for now.
Overview of Cross Country Ski Trails
The Cross Country ski trails were built and are maintained for the public’s use and enjoyment by the City of Burnsville Parks and Recreation Department. For your safety and the convenience of all, please follow these rules:
- The ski season usually begins in mid-to-late December, weather permitting. At least five to six inches of packed snow is needed before trails can open
- Trails are open daily during the ski season from 5 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Motorized vehicles are not allowed in the park area.
- Ski trails are one way, please follow the signs.
- Ski on groomed trails only, stay off lakes and ponds as thin ice can be dangerous.
- Use trails marked for your skill level.
- Trails are not patrolled - ski with a partner for safety.
- Trails are groomed regularly under proper weather conditions.
- Trails and the Terrace Oaks ski chalet will close if the temperature and/or wind chill reaches -19 degrees.
Terrace Oaks Park
Terrace Oaks Park is home to three groomed ski trails. Traversing them requires some stamina and skiing experience. All of the trails wind through heavily wooded and hilly terrain. Walkers, snowshoers, skijorers and dogs are not permitted on the groomed ski trails at Terrace Oaks. Non-skiers and dogs on leashes are welcome on Terrace Oaks’ ungroomed trail.
A ski chalet is located near the Terrace Oaks West park entrance. Weather permitting, the chalet is open Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
1/11/2021: The ski chalet is currently closed until further notice. Please note, there will be social distancing and safety guidelines in place once the chalet opens.
The three groomed trails at Alimagnet Park are relatively flat and are considered easier trails. Those who are new to cross-country skiing may find these trails more to their liking since the terrain is easier and the pace is generally slower. All trails at Alimagnet are multi-use and welcome cross-country skiers, walkers, snowshoers, skijorers and dogs on leashes.
Things to Remember
- Skiers are encouraged to stretch out and warm up before going on the trails.
- If you are skiing alone, let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Weather permitting, the Terrace Oaks Ski Chalet is open on weekends from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. December through February.
- Most of all, have fun!