Burnsville Police Recruiting
Join Our Team
Update: We welcome candidates with an associate degree interested in pursuing their bachelor's degree!
*Candidates with an associate degree are now eligible to join Burnsville Police. If hired, you will have 18 months to enroll in a four-year degree program and five years to obtain your bachelor's degree. Burnsville's Total Rewards Package includes 80% tuition reimbursement, in addition to a full array of benefits focused on you.
Burnsville is a vibrant city, boldly leading and welcoming to all. We focus on community-oriented service and support those efforts with a full range of operations including a Crime Scene Team, K-9 units, a Community Engagement and Behavioral Health Unit, School Resource Officers and Peer Support Team, to name just a few of our many divisions.
We create great experiences for you so you can do the same for our community. This includes opportunities and benefits unique to Burnsville. We believe community safety starts with workplace culture and support from the community, City staff and the City Council. We're about you.
- Total Rewards benefits package including unique 12 weeks of paid parental leave, up to 4 weeks bereavement or caregiver leave, 100% employer-paid health and dental coverage options and generous employer contribution to HSA, HRA and VEBA insurance plans ($3,000 for single and $4,800 for employee-plus and family coverage).
- Focus on Wellness: For us that means more than checking a box including a Wellness Coordinator, comprehensive Peer Support team, fitness room and an employee assistance program.
- Grow with Us: Opportunities abound with 18 specialized units and tuition reimbursement options.
Are you an experienced officer?
Let's connect! Discover the Burnsville difference and discover the difference you can make. We offer pay/vacation equivalency for your experience and there may be potential for accelerated field training based on years of service. Reach out to learn more and see why a transition to Burnsville doesn't mean you have to compromise your pay.
In-House Professional Development at Burnsville University
As a strengths-based organization, we believe in personal and professional growth opportunities. Burnsville University (we like to call it "BU") is a development program offering a wide variety of classes throughout the year on leadership development, professional growth, health and safety, organizational learning, inclusion and belonging and employee wellbeing.
Education and Requirements
- Bachelor's degree or an associate degree with the goal of obtaining a bachelor's degree within five years
- Valid Minnesota Peace Officer License or be eligible to be licensed in the State of Minnesota
- Preliminary and oral board interviews
- Background investigation,
- Physical, psychological, drug testing
Community Service Officer
Start your law enforcement career with us! Our CSOs receive the same training as our officers and work alongside all levels of our department to gain a full understanding of our service and our culture. Our goal is simple: Train with us as you finish your degree with the intention of promotion to a sworn officer when you are ready. Plus CSOs receive prorated benefits and tuition reimbursement options!
Burnsville Police Chief Tanya Schwartz did just that. Starting off as a Community Service Officer, Chief Schwartz worked her way up the ranks to now leads a team of 75 sworn officers and 19 civilians.