Sample Inspection Checklist
Reviewing your rental units for compliance with this list could save from costly re-inspections. Rental units include apartments, condos, manufactured home parks and single-family homes for rent. This list contains commonly found violations. It is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all violations that could occur.
Download a printable checklist (PDF)
Single and Multi Units | Interior
- Is the ceiling free of water damage, cracks or peeling?
- Are all outlets/switch plate covers present, secured and is all wiring concealed?
- Is the proper wiring being used? No extension cords, splitters, etc.
- Is the electrical panel and /or electrical room labeled and accessible (three foot clearance to panel and inspection sticker)?
- Are the floors free of holes, cracks and tripping hazards?
- Do bathrooms/kitchens have water tight surfaces?
- Are cabinet doors, drawers and hardware in good condition?
- Is the kitchen sanitary?
- Are heating appliances and air conditioners operable with secure gaskets and handles?
- Are the controls/thermostats easily accessible?
- Is refrigerator operable with secure gaskets and handles?
- Do sinks and wash basins have cleanable, water-tight surfaces free of chips, cracks and leaks?
Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Are working smoke detectors installed in each bedroom, adjacent hallways and one on each level?
- Are working carbon monoxide (CO) detectors within 10 feet of bedrooms where required?
- Are burners/oven elements operable and door gaskets in good condition?
- Are there adjacent counter tops below stove top cooking surfaces?
- Are washable and watertight surfaces present around the tub, shower, floor and toilet?
- Are all plumbing fixtures operating properly?
- Are operable bath fans in place if a bathroom window is not present?
- Does kitchen ventilation work - mechanical fans or windows open freely?
- Is dryer vented through rigid metal or other approved flexible venting material directly outside? (Plastic venting is prohibited.)
- Are walls free of holes or water damage?
- Do windows and doors open, close and latch freely?
- Are windows and doors free from leaks, cracks and peeling paint?
Building Permits - Required for Single Family Homes
- Have proper building permits been pulled for mechanical, plumbing and electrical items?
Exits and Pathways
- Are exits and pathways clear, maintained and usable?
- Does all illumination in corridors work?
Fire Safety Features
- Are emergency lights, exit signs, fire doors maintained and operable?
- Is a garbage/recycling service in place?
- Are containers stored in approved enclosures?
- Are laundry rooms maintained?
- Are surfaces water-tight?
- Are pool chemicals stored properly?
Stairs and Guardrails
- Is carpeting secure on stairs and are handrails present?
- Is the water heater free of leaks/rust?
- Is a metal or approved drip pipe in place?
- Is it vented properly?
- Are combustible materials (i.e. paint, gasoline, etc.) being stored properly?
Single and Multi Units | Exterior
- Is the building address visible from the street with numbers at least four inches tall?
Building Exterior/Yard Maintenance
- Is the roof and siding in good condition?
- Are sidewalks and steps maintained?
- Is the yard and landscaping maintained (mowed or plowed) and free of junk and debris?
- Are painted surfaces free of chipping and peeling?
- Do decks over 30 inches tall have guardrails?
- Are decks free of grills?
- Are decks structurally sounds? No holes in decking or rotted material in decking.
- Is the yard/exterior free of prohibited items?
- All vehicles parked on the property are operable and licensed?
Multi-Family Units | Interior Common Areas
Emergency Contacts and Fire Department Key Box
- Are emergency contact numbers up-to-date?
- Does the Fire Department key box contain the appropriate key(s)?
- Are fire extinguishers present and current (not expired)?
- Are extinguisher cases free of broken/chipped glass?
Multi-Family Units | Exterior Areas
- Are dumpsters located away from buildings and wall openings?
- Are fire lanes maintained and posted?
Hydrants and Sprinklers
- Are hydrants and sprinkler systems well maintained?
- Are utility meters protected from vehicle damage?