Click to Home

Go To Search
PrintEmail PageRSS
Short-Term Vacation Rentals
Short-Term Vacation Rental Brochure 
Download "Short-Term Rental Best Practices" Brochure
The City of Burnsville currently allows short-term vacation rentals  of private homes (i.e., AirBNB, VRBO, etc). To operate a short-term vacation rental, you must:

  • Apply for a Short-Term Vacation Rental Permit
    (Permit fee is $50 annually)
  • File and Submit Local Lodging Tax and Sales Report
  • File and Submit State Sales Tax

Short-Term Rental Permit
Download Permit Application

Short-term rental permits must be renewed annually. As part of your permit, you are required to notify your adjacent neighbors that you will be operating a short-term rental business. This is meant as a courtesy, and the City will not deny the permit if a neighbor objects.

Local Lodging Tax and Sales Report
Download Monthly Lodging Tax Sales Report and Instructions

Short-term rentals are also subject to Burnsville's local lodging tax of three (3) percent on rental and cleaning fees. A "Monthly Lodging Tax Sales Report" must be filed and taxes submitted to the City within 25 days of month's end.

State Sales Tax
View MN Dept of Revenue State Sales Tax Information

Short-term rentals are subject to State sales tax. The Minnesota Department of Revenue has information regarding sales tax payment for short-term rentals.

Best Practices
Download the City of Burnsville's Short-Term Rental Best Practices Brochure

The City has provided a brochure outlining some of the rules, best practices and questions you should ask before operating a short-term rental business. Download and review the brochure at the link above.
View regulations/best practices from Explore Minnesota Tourism

Help Center