Click to Home

Go To Search
PrintEmail PageRSS
Storm Water Management
Storm Water Pond Management
The City manages it storm water ponds in multiple ways. These include making sure the pond outlets and inlets are clear of debris, and evaluating ponds for needed storm water treatment and dredging when necessary.

This video outlines some of the issues taken into consideration when evaluating when and if a pond should be treated/dredged - and what happens when oil-based contaminants settle in storm water ponds.

Reducing Storm Water PollutionWater pouring into a storm drain

In urban areas, pollutants such as oil and grease from roadways, pesticides from lawns, sediment from construction sites and carelessly discarded trash flow untreated through storm sewers into our surface waters.

There are things you can do around your home to reduce storm water runoff. Check out this pamphlet for tips, or learn how rain gardens or storm drain stenciling can help the effort.

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System or NPDES

To improve water quality throughout the country, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) established a storm water management program (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System or NPDES) to guide local governments. This program focuses on reducing the amount of urban pollutants. For more information on Burnsville's stormwater management objectives through the NPDES program, click here

Report Storm Water Problems
Did you see an illegal discharge into a storm water drain? A problem with construction site erosion or sedimentation concerns?  Residents can play an important role in protecting local water quality by reporting any potential issues that they come across.  The City of Burnsville has established a phone call list for residents to report problems and to have their questions answered. To view our annual NPDES report, click here

Report Illicit or Illegal Discharges

Read this article for more information: What is an illicit discharge?  To report illicit or illegal discharges into public waters and/or the City of Burnsville’s storm drains/storm sewer system, call Public Works at 952-895-4550 or fill out an online request.

Report Erosion
To report erosion from construction sites or sedimentation concerns, call or email Walter Ehresmann at 952-895-4463. Please read this article to learn about how erosion is controlled on construction sites. The Pollution Control Agency provides additional information about erosion control on construction sites.

Report Illegal Concrete Washout at Construction Sites
Have you seen a cement truck from a construction site rinse off in a non-specified area after unloading its concrete?  Concrete trucks are required to use a designated washout area which will be properly signed and protected by an impermeable barrier.  Pollution from concrete washouts can contaminate surface and ground water resources.  Read this article to learn more about the concrete washout requirements at construction sites.  To report a suspected illegal concrete washout, call or email Walter Ehresmann at 952-895-4463. 

Comments or Questions

To provide comments or ask questions on the City of Burnsville’s Storm Water Pollution Prevention Program (SWPPP), contact Ryan Peterson at 952-895-4459.

Help Center