Park Closures For Deer Management
Deer management activities have not yet started for winter 2016-2017.
The goal of this program is to:
- Manage the deer population at socially acceptable levels
- Maintain the health of Burnsville's woodland habitat
- Maintain the health of our deer herd
The program is intended to address the following concerns associated with high deer populations:
1. Protect the biological integrity of our natural areas. Over browsing by deer harms our natural woodlands.
2. Improve public safety. An average of 50 deer/car collisions are reported annually in Burnsville.
3. Protect residential landscapes. More and more residents are experiencing problems with damage to their yards
and gardens from deer.
4. Maintain the long term health of the deer herd. Left unchecked, the size of the herd will increase to levels that
be supported naturally.
The Burnsville Deer Management program has a number of components, including education, monitoring, ordinance revisions and population control. For a full overview on Burnsville's deer management program, please click here.