Go To Search
PrintEmail PageRSS
Holiday Fire Safety
Holiday Burnout: Not Just an Expression
While holidays typically bring with them good friends, good food and good times – the Burnsville Fire Department would like to remind residents to have a SAFE time as well. Unfortunately, winter holidays can often be a deadly time of year, since many traditions include the most common causes of home fires.

In most years, cooking, candles and open flames account for nearly half of Minnesota’s residential fires. During the excitement of the holiday season, normal safety precautions can sometimes be overlooked.

Minnesota State Fire Marshal's Office Holiday Safety Brochure [PDF]

Additional holiday safety tips are available from the Burnsville Police Department.   

These holiday safety tips can help ensure a safe and happy holiday season:

Fireplace:
   
  • Don’t hang stockings on the fireplace near open flames.
  • Keep the fireplace screen or doors closed.
  • DO NOT burn gift-wrap.

Lighting:
  • Inspect holiday lights for wear or damage.
  • Discard damaged sets.
  • Don’t overload outlets and circuits, and use no more than three sets
    of lights per extension cord. Never use electric lights on a metal tree.
  • Turn holiday lights off before going to bed.

Candles:
  • Leave three feet between candles and anything that will burn.
  • Never leave candles unattended.
  • The safest candleholders surround the flame with protective glass.

Holiday Trees:
  • Make sure any artificial trees purchased are fire-resistant.
  • Water real trees often.
  • Place trees and all decorations away from heat sources.
  • Do not block exits.

In the Kitchen:
  • Keep a fire extinguisher within 10 feet of the stove, on the exit-side of the kitchen.
  • Cover a pan with a lid to smother flames if a fire starts (do not use water).
  • Keep pot handles turned to the back.
  • Don't leave towels or pot-holders on the stove top.
  • Keep appliances clean.
  • Don't overload kitchen electrical outlets.
  • Remember - an electrical coil on a stove-top reaches a temperature of 800 degrees. A gas flame goes over 1,000 degrees. A dish towel or pot holder can catch fire at 400 degrees. So can a bathrobe, apron or loose sleeve.


Help Center