Go To Search
PrintEmail PageRSS
Kitchen Fires/Cooking
Even though we spend a great deal of time in our kitchen, it is not the safest room in the home. Cooking fires are the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Nationally cooking fires cause hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries each year. These fires are usually preventable.

Here are some things to remember while cooking:

  • Keep cooking areas clean of grease and oil buildup
  • Keep cooking areas clear of combustibles such as potholders, towels, rags, food packaging, etc.
  • Keep children and pets out of cooking area while cooking.
  • Never leave cooking unattended.
  • Keep a 10 lb. ABC fire extinguisher mounted near the exit.

If things go wrong!

  • For a pan fire, while wearing an oven mitt, slide a lid over the pan and turn off the stove.
  • For an oven fire, keep the door closed and turn off the oven, then unplug.
  • For a microwave fire, keep the door closed and unplug the microwave.
  • If the fire becomes uncontrollable, make sure everyone is out of the home and call 911 from outside the house.

Investing in a portable automatic fire suppression system is also a good idea. Basically, these are small canisters that fit over cooking surfaces and will automatically suppress fires on the stovetop. These can be purchased on the internet for as little as $30 a pair.

If you have any questions regarding cooking fires, please call the Burnsville Fire Department at 952-895-4570 or you can visit the website www.fire.state.mn.us


Help Center