Go To Search
PrintEmail PageRSS
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
There are at least 2,000 deaths annually in the U.S. as a result of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can result from incomplete combustion in gas appliances such as furnaces, heaters, stoves, dryers, fireplaces, as well as charcoal grills and automobiles. Poisoning often occurs when these items are faulty or used improperly.

As of August 2008, every single family residence shall have a minimum of one CO detector located within ten feet of each sleeping area. If multiple bedrooms are located on separate floors, additional CO detectors are necessary. In August 2009, these requirements also apply to all multi-family (townhouses and apartments).

These detectors can be purchased at most hardware stores and are easy to install. It is important that they are properly maintained and tested at least once a month. Batteries should be changed at least twice a year. Like smoke alarms, it is best to change the batteries every time you change your clocks for daylight savings. CO detectors should be replaced every 5-7 years or as recommended by the manufacturer.

If you have any questions concerning Carbon Monoxide detectors, you can visit the State Fire Marshal’s website at www.fire.state.mn.us You can also contact the Burnsville Fire Department at 952-895-4570


Help Center